Friday, August 03, 2007

Here is a brand new chapter

I install Ubuntu 7.04 on my desktop at home to do this lab. Since I used up all the quota in accessing internet, I downloaded all the software in lab and planned to install them into my Ubuntu just like what we usually do in MS Windows that straight forward. But I am wrong.

Many software in Ubuntu is self-managed by the system. It can automatically download online and install it on a click. But if you'd got a pack on hand to install, it seems not that straight forward.
First, in Ubuntu, you can't use RPM pack used normally in Fedora or some other popular Linux systems. In installation, you just uncompress the pack you downloaded online, and put it somewhere in the system. The hard thing is to specify the environment value. Here is what I added to
~/.bashrc

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun
export CLASSPATH=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/lib
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin
export CATALINA_HOME=/opt/tomcat

There are some reminders when using the lab computer

bash
source /eelabs/ebus5003/profile

In my account, I always have to type these in my terminal to start and work. No idea!!!!

fs listquota
check your disk space

proxy:
http://www.eelab.usyd.edu.au/proxy.pac
In Firefox


build.properties and build.xml should be under the same folder




In step10, make sure to specify where you want to put the log file. In my case, it is like this:

log4j.appender.logfile.File=/opt/tomcat/logs/springapp.log

If you make it wrong, you can't find the file, and nothing indicates it was going wrong!!!!!!!!


Until now, luckily, part1 is finished. I encounter Linux, Ant and Spring. I believe they are good tools once you can set them up.

No comments: